The Membership Society
Founded in 1958 as a membership society for analysts sharing an interest in Freud’s theory and technique, IPTAR continues to be a community committed to the lifelong study of psychoanalysis.
IPTAR offers its members:
- a rich variety of programs and opportunities for study, discussion, and the continuing interchange of ideas;
- access to the PEP-WEB psychoanalytic library via personal computers;
- membership in the International Psychoanalytical Society (IPA);
- membership in the Confederation of Independent Psychoanalytic Societies (CIPS).
The Training Institute
The Training Institute, established in 1960, was designed to offer what was as yet unavailable in this country: rigorous and thorough training in psychoanalytic theory and technique for serious, qualified students from a variety of academic and professional backgrounds.
The Training Institute today offers:
- programs in Adult Psychoanalysis, Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy, Organizational Consulting and Executive Coaching, and Parent-Infant Training;
- a Respecialization Program for students without prior mental health training;
- the New York State License Eligible Program leading to the license in Psychoanalysis (LP) for those without a mental health background;
- a program for international students -SEVIS – who wish to study psychoanalysis in the United States;
- IPTAR Intern/Externship Program in Psychoanalytic Studies for doctoral candidates;
- carefully planned and wide-ranging curriculums governed by a contemporary Freudian perspective, rooted in the classical tradition and integrating current developments in British object relations theories, modern Kleinian theory, attachment theory, and theories of the self;
- courses taught in the context of clinical illustration, making theoretical learning relevant to actual practice.
Please click application for admission to view the application for the program in Adult Psychoanalysis.