The Membership Society
Founded in 1958 as a membership society for analysts sharing an interest in Freud’s theory and technique, IPTAR continues to be a community committed to the lifelong study of psychoanalysis.
IPTAR offers its members:
- a rich variety of programs and opportunities for study, discussion, and the continuing interchange of ideas;
- access to the PEP-WEB psychoanalytic library via personal computers;
- membership in the International Psychoanalytical Society (IPA);
- membership in the Confederation of Independent Psychoanalytic Societies (CIPS).
The Training Institute
The Training Institute, established in 1960, was designed to offer what was as yet unavailable in this country: rigorous and thorough training in psychoanalytic theory and technique for serious, qualified students from a variety of academic and professional backgrounds.
The Training Institute today offers:
- programs in Adult Psychoanalysis, Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy, Organizational Consulting and Executive Coaching, and Parent-Infant Training;
- a Respecialization Program for students without prior mental health training;
- the New York State License Eligible Program leading to the license in Psychoanalysis (LP) for those without a mental health background;
- a program for international students -SEVIS - who wish to study psychoanalysis in the United States;
- IPTAR Intern/Externship Program in Psychoanalytic Studies for doctoral candidates;
- carefully planned and wide-ranging curriculums governed by a contemporary Freudian perspective, rooted in the classical tradition and integrating current developments in British object relations theories, modern Kleinian theory, attachment theory, and theories of the self;
- courses taught in the context of clinical illustration, making theoretical learning relevant to actual practice.
For further detail about IPTAR, please click here to download the IPTAR Bulletin.
Please click application for admission to download an application for the program in Adult Psychoanalysis.